If you think Father’s Day is all about tools and ties, think again. Guys also like the pampering from skincare treatments and relief from aches and pains that they can get from massage. According to the American Massage Therapy Association (AMTA) collected data, in July 2016, 22 percent of women and 16 percent of men reported having a massage in the past twelve months.
In “5 Reasons Executives Should Schedule a Massage Today,” Raquel Baldelomar points out that men executives increasingly are seeking massage to help them “perform at the top of their game” by bolstering productivity and creativity as well as aiding sleep and reducing stress. Then, too, men turn to massage to alleviate the pain and stiffness from sports injuries and keep the body conditioned. Such messages can be even more effective by using a cooling analgesic lotion-like Polar Lotion that contains menthol, wintergreen, peppermint, and Eucalyptus to spot treat sore muscle and joint areas.
But it’s not the only massage that men are after. Like their female counterparts, today's men want to maintain a young and healthy appearance and so are embracing restorative and cleansing services. Increasingly, popular treatments for men include facials and manicures, and pedicures. Many also want body wraps and scrubs to look their best.
Promote your Father’s Day offerings
All the above points to the considerable opportunity that Father’s Day presents in promoting your services for men on this national day. But to reach men, you’ll need to start with the women in their lives since they will be doing the gifting.
Start your Father’s Day promotions by promoting special treatments and offers for men, including gift certificates, to your women clients. Advertise your offerings throughout your spa or massage practice with specially created posters and flyers that you feature at reception, in the waiting room, and the changing areas.
Take your Father’s Day promotions online on your website with a call to action to encourage clients to book appointments for their special guy, online if you feature online bookings or by calling into your spa or massage practice. Use email marketing to drive clients and prospects to your site. On your social sites, talk about your special treatments for Father’s Day, directing followers to your website to learn more or book appointments.
Gift certificates are another item that some clients will prefer to purchase rather than booking an appointment. You’ll also want to package special retail products for men and feature them prominently in your retail section to make it easy for clients to pick up a gift.
On-Par treatment combines massage and skincare
The On-Par Pressure Point Back Treatment is a combination of skin treatment and massage that is a perfect Father’s Day gift for the active man who also wants to get his skin into shape. It begins with sports back scrub followed by a targeted application of warmed Black Baltic Body Mud to detoxify, soothe and relax sore muscles.
Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow 1 oz
Black Baltic Body Mud 1 oz
Replenishing Light Massage Oil 1 oz
Detoxifying Customizing Complex 20 drops
6 golf balls
3 rubber spa bowls
9 warm, moist hand towels
- Mix 1 ounce of Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow with 10 drops of Detoxifying Customizing Complex in a rubber spa bowl.
- Mix 1 ounce of Black Baltic Body Mud with 10 drops of Detoxifying Customizing Complex in a rubber spa bowl.
- Warm product before application
- Apply Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow to the client’s back, alternating large and small strokes.
- Remove Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow with a warm, moist hand towel.
- Apply Black Baltic Body Mud to the lower back, moving to mid-back, then upper back
- Cover back with plastic wrap and 3 hot, moist hand towels with a folded thermal blanket on top, leaving the legs exposed from mid-thigh down. Hydrocollator can be used in place of hot towels.
- Conduct a massage on the legs, using warmed golf balls and Replenishing Light Massage Oil. The massage should be 8-10 minutes on each leg.
- Remove the Black Baltic Body Mud with the hot, moist hand towels that were on the back.
- Complete the treatment with a massage on the back, shoulders, and neck using warmed golf balls and Replenishing Light Massage Oil. The massage should be approximately 15 minutes.
Once Dad visits your spa or massage parlor, the chances are that they will be enthusiastic for repeat visits, so keep that in mind as you talk to your male clients about other service options to consider.