Since 1923 when it was first introduced, Chanel No. 5 perfume has been a classic fragrance that, according to the BBC, “revolutionized the way women smell.” Contributing to the iconic perfume’s unique fragrance is Ylang Ylang essential oil, which comes from the yellow, fragrant flower petals of the tropical Canaga Tree. The tree is native to the rainforests of Indonesia and the Philippines.
While some may stumble over the essential oil's pronunciation - the correct pronunciation of the popular essential oil is EE-lang, EE-lang – many are familiar with its sweet, flowery pungent smell similar to Jasmine. Owing to its delightful aroma, Ylang Ylang essential oil is a favorite for body care, cosmetic, and perfume products.
Ylang Ylang oil also is a favorite essential oil for aromatherapy. The oil is recognized to fight depression and relax the body. It is used to help relieve anxiety and stress. It also has an uplifting effect on the mood and induces feelings of joy and hope. Ylang Ylang oil blends particularly well with bergamot, grapefruit, lavender, and sandalwood essential oils.
In addition to its use in aromatherapy as an antidepressant, other benefits of Ylang Ylang oil noted by Organic Facts include:
- It lowers blood pressure, and so is an effective agent for treating hypertension and other heart problems.
- It has antiseptic properties. Research suggests that it helps keep wounds from developing sepsis and tetanus by inhibiting microbial growth and disinfecting wounds. This property also protects wounds from bacteria, viral, and fungal infections. And it helps wounds heal faster.
- It has sedative properties. It strengthens and repairs damage to the nervous system. It also reduces stress on the nerves and protects them from developing several nervous disorders.
- Studies indicate Ylang Ylang has anti-inflammatory properties.
Ylang Ylang oil also helps balance excess oil production on the skin, making it good for combination skin. And the anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of Ylang Ylang oil help soothe skin irritations.
With so much going for it, it’s not surprising that Ylang Ylang oil is featured as one of BIOTONE’s single note essential oils available in ½ fluid ounce bottle. You’ll also find it in these BIOTONE products:
- Bliss Aromatherapy Massage Lotion
- Bliss Essential Oil Blends
- Revive Essential Oil Balancing Blend
- Renewal Aromatherapy Massage Lotion