Winter weather can be particularly hard on clients’ skin, increasing irritation and dryness. Many clients will complain that moisturizing does not seem to resolve the problem. This provides an opportunity for you to explain the benefits of wraps and scrubs.
Wraps date back literally thousands of years to ancient Egypt and help relax and rejuvenate the body, tighten and tone the skin, eliminate toxins and improve circulation of the blood. There is a wide variety of detoxifying and hydrating body wraps, each tailored to the unique needs of a client. Among them is the algae wrap in which warmed algae is applied to the entire body to help nourish and detoxify the skin. A seaweed wrap of concentrated seawater and seaweed can help hydrate and firm the skin. With an herbal wrap, fresh or dried herbs are blended with oils and steeped in very hot water in order to remove dead skin cells and nourish the skin.
Similar to a mineral-rich mud wrap, a clay wrap will include aromatherapy oils. Skin in need of intense moisturizing can benefit from a paraffin wrap where warm paraffin is brushed over the body. The paraffin wrap also is thought to reduce muscle and joint aches and soothe the symptoms of arthritis.
Exfoliation removes dead, dry, dulling cells to reveal the fresher, younger skin cells beneath. Also the layer of dead, dry cells is a barrier to soothing and softening moisturizers. Once this layer is removed, the moisturizer can better penetrate to produce smoother and softer skin.
Used in combination, wraps and scrubs can be a wake-up call to winter weather damaged skin.
Prepare your client’s skin for the dry winter months with a soothing full-body exfoliation of mineral rich therapeutic salts containing a special blend of hydrators to replenish and refine texture. Follow with a hydrating wrap of natural sun-dried rose clay to accelerate cell renewal and soften skin. Then finish with a relaxing massage using our thick and creamy Smoothing Massage Butter.
• Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow 2 oz
• European Rose Body Mud 2 oz
• Smoothing Massage Butter 1 oz
• Lavender Essential Oil 10 drops
• 3 rubber spa bowls
• 9 warm, moist hand towels
• Warm Towel
• Plastic Wrap
1. Mix Smoothing Massage Butter with 10 drops of Lavender Essential Oil in a rubber bowl.
2. Apply an exfoliation treatment with Exfoli-Sea Salt Glow.
3. Apply European Rose Body Mud in an even layer to each part of the body, while quickly covering each area with plastic wrap. Cover the client with a towel to keep warm.
4. Cocoon the client by pulling up all layers of sheets, thermal wrap and blanket.
5. Allow the client to rest for 15-20 min. This is an ideal time to incorporate an add-on face or foot massage.
6. Remove plastic wrap, removing as much mud as possible with the wrap. Remove remaining mud with warm, moist towels. Be sure to cover exposed damp skin with a bath towel.
7. Perform a finishing treatment with the Smoothing Massage Butter that was previously mixed with Lavender Essential Oil.