As the ancient Greek myth goes, peppermint got its name from Minthe, a river nymph who lived in one of the rivers of Hades, the Greek god of the underworld. When Hades fell in love with Minthe, his jealous wife Persephone turned her into a lowly mint plant, which meant her destiny was for others to walk upon her. However, Hades eased her punishment so that when people walked on Minthe they would enjoy a sweet pungent smell.
Peppermint oil, which is a pure concentrated oil or essential oil, comes from the stems and leaves of the peppermint plant. The most prominent ingredient in peppermint oil is menthol. Menthol interacts with the body’s cold receptors to provide a cooling sensation, which is why it’s used in sun screens and lotions and other skin care products. Menthol also has expectorant action, which enables it to thin and loosen the mucus that builds up in the respiratory tract. Menthol is added to cough/cold reliving remedies like syrups, lozenges and nose inhalers to relieve congestion.
Menthol also has analgesic (painkiller) and anti-inflammatory properties to help relieve muscle and joint pain. For these reasons, you’ll find peppermint oil in many of BIOTONE massage products, including Renewal Aromatherapy Massage Lotion, Detoxifying Customizing Complex, Herbal Select Foot Therapy Massage Lotion, Marine Therapy Pedi Balm, Marine Therapy Pedi Scrub, Polar Lotion, and Sore Muscle Relieving Customizing Complex.
Here’s a treatment that includes BIOTONE Marine Therapy Pedi-Balm that is sure to get your clients on their feet. The Pep in Your Step is a hip-to-foot treatment routine that utilizes a combination of movement, compression, myofascial release and reflexology to help boost client energy.
- Controlled-Glide Massage Creme 1 oz
- Marine Therapy Pedi-Balm .5 oz
- Position client on the massage table in a supine position.
- Perform a gentle rocking compression from the hip to the foot of each leg.
- Starting at the client’s right hip, apply a 5 second compression just under ASIS. Slowly increase the pressure of the compression. Repeat movement down the entire leg until you reach the foot. Repeat on left leg.
- Squeeze a nickel size amount of Controlled Glide Massage Creme into the palm of your hand. Rub hands together and then apply creme to client’s right leg from the ankle to the hip.
- Perform 4 slow effleurage stokes from the knee to the hip, starting at IT band and moving slightly medially with each successive stroke.
- Perform 4 slow push/pull movements starting at the client’s knee and moving to the hip.
- Repeat 4 & 5 on the lower leg.
- Repeat 4 – 7 on the left leg.
- Have client turn to a prone position.
- Repeat 3-7 on each posterior leg.
- Squeeze a dime size amount of Marine Therapy Pedi-Balm into your palm. Rub hands together and apply product to client’s right foot.
- Using your knuckles, slowly stroke from heal of the foot to the toes.
- Gently pull each toe.
- Separate the tissue on the bottom of the foot with the palms of your hands.
- Apply specific pressure to reflex points along the lateral edge and palm of the foot.
- Repeat on left foot.