You know the expression “when in Rome...” Well, you don’t have to be in Rome to take advantage of the benefits of lavender, which the ancient Romans added to their bath water to induce a calming and relaxing effect. Lavender actually comes from the Latin word lavare, which means to wash. But the Romans weren’t the only ones onto the benefits of lavender. The Egyptians were equally taken with the oil. Word has it when the tomb of King Tutankhamen was opened in 1922, the faint smell of lavender – some 3,000 years old – still lingered. And the Greeks used it to treat backaches and fight insomnia.
Over the years, the herb, with its floral aroma, continued to gain popularity for treating a whole range of ailments, from muscle pain and headaches to depression and irritability, not to mention general sleep disorders. Lavender was so popular in the Victorian age; people often carried handkerchiefs perfumed with the aroma to calm anxiety.
Modern day researchers have continued to explore the benefits of lavender. In a study conducted at the University of Miami’s Touch Research Institute, adults exposed to lavender showed increased beta power, suggesting increased relaxation. They actually performed math computations not only faster but also with fewer errors and had less depressed mood.
Besides promoting calm and relaxation, lavender essential oil can improve skin health. Lavender essential oil is anti-bacterial and antifungal so reduces skin inflammation to heal acne and keep eczema at bay. Also, lavender essential oil is full of antioxidants to help protect the skin from free radicals, which are partly responsible for fine lines and wrinkles.
Soothing Tension Treatment
Relieve tension in the mind and body with a tranquil aromatherapy experience – Soothing Tension Treatment. All the products used in the treatment contain lavender. This full body aromatherapy treatment will help to relieve muscle tension and melt away body stress, leaving clients feeling calm and relaxed from head to toe.
- Relaxing Therapeutic Massage Creme (lavender botanicals and essential oil) ....2 oz
- Muscle Comfort Essential Oil Blend (lavender essential oil) ...........3 drops
- Marine Therapy Pedi Scrub (lavender essential oil) ........................¼ oz
- Marine Therapy Pedi Balm (lavender essential oil) .........................¼ oz
- 2 Rubber Spa Bowls
- 3 Warm Moist Towels
- Take 1 warm moist towel and wring out all excess water.
- Add 3 drops of Muscle Comfort EO Blend to the damp towel.
- Place towel with EO underneath the bottom of the head cradle (inside of the cradle cover).
- Place ¼ oz of Marine Therapy Pedi Scrub in a rubber bowl.
- Place ¼ oz of Marine Therapy Pedi Balm in a rubber bowl.
- Apply Marine Therapy Pedi Scrub on to client’s feet and perform an exfoliation.
- Remove with warm, moist towels.
- Apply Relaxing Therapeutic Massage Creme to body and perform a massage.
- Apply Marine Therapy Pedi Balm for a finishing foot treatment