It’s that time of year when “love is in the air.” Valentine’s Day happily encourages people to take some time to think about the most meaningful people in their lives and celebrate them with gifts and messages that convey how they feel. Many also carve out quality time to spend with the special people in their lives. So. when it comes to spending time with that “extra special person,” what better way to do that than with a couple’s massage?
During a massage, the body releases oxytocin. It’s the hormone that has been called the love hormone, cuddle hormone, or bonding hormone. Oxytocin plays an important part in human bonding. It’s released during childbirth and breastfeeding to contribute to the bond built between parent and infant. Among adults, hugging, kissing, cuddling, and sexual intimacy can all trigger oxytocin production, strengthening bonds. A study of 95 people conducted at the University of California Los Angeles in 2015 found that massage was associated with an increase in oxytocin.
Entice couples to take time out for a massage
While many of your clients are hoping for a special gift certificate from their loved ones for a relaxing massage at your spa or massage studio, why not entice couples to take time out together for Valentine’s Day. Ideally, once couples experience an afternoon or several hours of the peace and serenity you provide, they will want to schedule regular visits.
Among the basics for promoting your Valentine’s Day specials at your spa or massage business, you’ll want to include:
Web landing page
Create a special page on your website that features your Valentine’s Day menu of treatments and special packages for couples that could also include lunch or champagne (with special glasses they can take home) and chocolates, and a special take-home gift – aromatherapy candles or a music CD. Include on the landing page photos of couples relaxing in your spa or massage studio or enjoying one of your specially-created treatments. Drive traffic to the page from your social media channels and other marketing outreach. Make sure to have a strong call to action such as ‘book now’ or ‘call for an appointment.’
Partner with another local business to cross-promote your Valentine’s Day treatments and packages. For example, you can work with a local restaurant to offer a special dinner (on-premise if open for indoor or outdoor dining during this time or even take out) for two following treatments at your spa or massage business. Other business that would make good co marketers include florists, jewelers, candy shops, and even movie theaters
Create a special email to send out to promote Valentine’s Day for couples. Make the emails fun and use include special sentiments about love and caring. Describe your special treatments in each one and suggest complementary at-home offerings for gifts.
Promote your Valentine’s Day offerings with counter cards, posters, point-of-purchase materials that your place throughout your spa or massage business with photos of couples and a list of your special treatments and packages.
Here’s our recommended Romantic Retreat to add to your Valentine’s Day menu to create a little bit of paradise for your clients right in your spa or massage business:
3 rubber Spa bowls
9 warm, moist hand towels
- Mix Micro-Buff Body Polish with 15 drops of Mango & Mandarin Customizing Complex and 3 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil in a rubber bowl. Warm before application.
- Mix European Rose Body Mud with 30 drops of Mango & Mandarin Customizing Complex and 4 drops of Ylang Ylang Essential Oil in a rubber bowl. Warm before application.
- Mix Smoothing Massage Butter with 15 drops of Mango & Mandarin Customizing Complex in a rubber bowl. Warm product before application.
- Apply an exfoliation treatment with Micro-Buff Body Polish.
- Apply European Rose Body Mud in an even layer to each part of the body while quickly covering each area with plastic wrap. Cover the client with a towel to keep warm.
- Allow the client to rest 15-20 min. This is an ideal time to incorporate an add-on face or foot massage.
- Remove plastic wrap, removing as much mud as possible. Remove remaining mud with warm, moist towels. Cover exposed damp skin with a bath towel.
- Perform finishing treatment with Smoothing Massage Butter.
Session Time: 60-90 min