The Many Benefits of Shea Butter for Spa and Massage Clients
By Jean Shea on Jan 31, 2013
I’m a big fan of Shea Butter, and I can assure you it has nothing (well not a lot anyway) to do with the fact that we share a name. Many people ask me how I decide what ingredients to use. Product development at BIOTONE is driven by what you tell us you need in lubricants and skin care treatment products. Then I go to work researching the most effective and highest quality ingredients – and those that work together best in combination – to fit the bill. Organic Shea Butter is one of those that I look forward to including in the product mix because of its natural skin conditioning properties.
Organic Shea Butter is one of the key ingredients in our Pure Touch Organics product line, including both the original Pure Touch Organics Massage Creme and the recently released Massage Gel. It’s also essential to a number of our other products including our body butters and lotions, both the professional and at-home use.
Shea butter benefits to your clients
This rich ingredient is actually the fat from the nut of the Shea tree – you’ll also hear it commonly called the Karite tree, which I discovered means tree of life - that grows throughout West Africa.
What’s makes Shea Butter so special and versatile is its abundance of all the ingredients that the skin needs for balance, tone and elasticity – Vitamins A, E. and F. Shea Butter also contains cinnamic acid, a substance that helps protect the skin from the harmful UV rays of the sun. That explains why it’s used throughout Africa where the intensity of the sun can be particularly damaging to the skin.
Beautifully Balanced treatment features new Pure Touch Massage Gel
You can see the benefits of Shea Butter in action in our suggested treatment to calm a client’s body and mind and rejuvenate the skin. A refreshing scalp massage restores from head to toe.
- Micro-Buff Body Polish ----------------------- 2 ounces
- Relaxing Customizing Complex ---------- 55 drops
- Black Baltic Mud ------------------------------- 4 ounces
- Replenishing Light Oil ----------------------- ½ ounce
- Pure Touch Organics Massage Gel ------ 1 ounce
- Orange Essential Oil ------------------------- 10 drops
- 3 rubber spa bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Tipped applicator bottle
- 10 warm, moist hand towels
- In separate bowls prepare:
- Micro-Buff Body Polish with 15 drops of Relaxing Customizing Complex
- Black Baltic Body Mud with 30 drops of Relaxing Customizing Complex
- Replenishing Light Oil with 10 drops of Orange Essential Oil
- Pure Touch Organics Massage Gel with 10 drops of Relaxing Customizing Complex
Session time: 60-90 minutes