When it comes to sugar and skin, there is good news and bad news. As part of your diet, too much sugar leads to inflammation, which can cause skin breakouts and other inflammatory skin conditions such as psoriasis and rosacea. Too much sugar also can accelerate aging. Processed sugars cause collagen and elastin proteins in the skin to break down, which results in the skin losing its elasticity, resulting in wrinkles.
But there’s another side to sugar. It can actually help enhance skin when it’s used for exfoliating to remove dry, coarse or dead skin. Sugar is a natural source of glycolic acid. It’s an essential alpha-hydroxy acid that penetrates the skin and breaks down the "glue" that bonds skin cells, encouraging cell turnover and generating fresher, younger-looking skin. Glycolic acid is used treat sun-damaged and premature aging.
Sugar also is a natural humectant, which means it draws moisture from the environment into the skin. So, products with sugar or sugar derivatives applied to the skin can help hydrate and lock in moisture.
Here’s a body exfoliation that includes the use of pure cane sugar as a key ingredient to get rid of dead skin cells before applying a hydrating wrap.
Coconut Crush Revival
Treat clients’ skin with this full body exfoliation using Coconut Crush Sugar Body Polish, a decadent tropical scented body polish made with pure cane sugar, nourishing coconut oil and a natural exfoliant of coconut shell powder in a creamy, thick buttery base. Coconut Crush Revival is a stimulating exfoliation to rid the skin of dead cells. Following the exfoliation, cocoon your clients with a silky layer of Body Luxe Hydrating Wrap. Finish with a relaxing massage, leaving the skin with a lingering scent of fresh citrus.
• Coconut Crush Sugar Body Polish ...........................2 oz
• Body Luxe Hydrating Wrap ................................... 1.5 oz
• Mango & Mandarin Customizing Complex .... (10 drops)
• 9 Warm, moist hand towels
• 3 Rubber spa bowls
• 1 Thermal Blanket
• 1 Sheet of Plastic Wrap
1. Add 2 oz of Coconut Crush Sugar Body Polish in a rubber spa bowl.
2. Mix Body Luxe Hydrating Wrap with 10 drops of Mango & Mandarin Customizing Complex in a rubber spa bowl.
3. Apply 2 oz of Coconut Crush Sugar Body Polish following the BIOTONE protocol* for exfoliation.
4. Apply Body Luxe Hydrating Wrap in an even layer to each part of the body, while quickly covering each area
with plastic wrap. Cover client with towel to keep warm.
5. While standing at the head of the table, pull up all layers of sheets, thermal wrap and blankets, cocooning the client.
6. Allow the client to rest wrapped for 15-20 minutes. This is an ideal time to incorporate a face or foot massage into the treatment.
7. Remove plastic sheet, and perform a finishing massage treatment with the Body Luxe Hydrating Wrap
 Hoyt, Emilie David, “3 Ways Sugar is Good for Your Skin, “Huff Post, January 16, 2013. https://www.huffpost.com/entry/sugar-skincare_b_2133060