It’s considered the world’s most famous perfume. We’re talking about Chanel No. 5, a classic fragrance since it first was introduced in 1923. Top notes, which are the ingredients that give a perfume its unique scent, are Aldehydes, Neroli, Lemon, Bergamot and Yang Ylang.
While the scent may be familiar; the pronunciation of Ylang Ylang may cause some to hesitate. The correct way to pronounce this popular essential oil is EE-lang, EE-lang. Ylang Ylang comes from the brilliant yellow, fragrant flower petals of the tropical Ylang Ylang tree (scientific name Cananga odorata), which is native to the rainforests of Indonesia and the Philippines
Owing to its delightfully sweet, flowery pungent smell similar to Jasmine, Ylang Ylang essential oil is a favorite for use in body care, cosmetic and perfume products. However, even with its widespread use in thousands of perfumes and personal care products, the oil wasn’t well known until recently. As more people recognized its value and delightful aroma, Ylang Ylang became a favorite for aromatherapy because of its pleasing fragrance. The essential oil has an uplifting effect on mood and induces feelings of joy and hope. Inhaling the sweet floral aroma of Ylang Ylang oil can relieve stress, anxiety and depression and relax the body.
Ylang Ylang oil blends particularly well with bergamot, grapefruit, lavender and sandalwood essential oils
In addition to its use in aromatherapy, Ylang Ylang oil has other benefits as noted by Organic Facts.
- It lowers blood pressure and is an effective agent for treating hypertension and other heart problems.
- It has antiseptic properties. Research suggests that it helps keep wounds from developing sepsis and tetanus by inhibiting microbial growth and disinfecting wounds. This property also protects wounds from bacteria, viral, and fungal infections. And it helps wounds heal faster.
- It has sedative properties. It strengthens and repairs damage to the nervous system. It also reduces stress on the nerves and protects them from developing a number of nervous disorders.
- Studies indicate Ylang Ylang has anti-inflammatory properties.
It also can help moisturize skin and nourish hair and scalp.
Ylang Ylang oil also helps balance excess oil production on the skin, which makes it good for combination skin. And the anti-inflammatory and antiseptic properties of Ylang Ylang oil help soothe skin irritations.
With so much going for it, it’s not surprising that Ylang Ylang oil is featured as one of BIOTONE’s single note essential oils available in ½ fluid ounce bottle. You’ll also find it in these BIOTONE products:
- Bliss Aromatherapy Massage Lotion
- Bliss Essential Oil Blends
- Revive Essential Oil Balancing Blend
- Renewal Aromatherapy Massage Lotion
- Sleep Well Essential Oil Blend
If you are looking for something to help clients destress and lift their spirits, offer them an aromatherapy massage with Ylang Ylang essential oil as one of the key ingredients.