Before you know it, we’ll be setting the clocks back and the cool weather will be setting in. While the change in temperature affects what we put over our bodies to keep warm, it also changes the types of treatments and products you use on clients at your spa and massage practice to keep moisture in. If there’s one moisturizing ingredient sure to please; it’s cocoa butter.
Cocoa butter comes from the cacao bean. These beans can be found in parts of Africa as well as the Caribbean and Latin America. They grow in pods that are located on trees in tropical areas. Once the pods have been opened and the beans extracted, the bean can then be processed into cocoa butter.
As if the scent weren't enough to please any client, cocoa butter is considered the ‘ultimate moisturizer.” That’s because cocoa butter is naturally rich in Vitamin E -- as well as a number of other vitamins and minerals -- which helps to soothe, hydrate, and balance the skin. Vitamin E also assists in the production of collagen, so that it aids in diminishing wrinkles and other signs of aging as well.
Cocoa butter is a highly concentrated natural fat that melts at body temperature, so it easily absorbs into the skin. It not only as a barrier to keep skin soft and prevent moisture loss, it helps protect sensitive skin against environmental conditions.
If you are looking for a special treatment to help clients escape the effects of cold weather, offer them Hot Cocoa Stone Massage, which features BIOTONE Coca-Comfort Massage Balm.
- (2 oz) Micro Buff Body Polish
- (2 tbs) 100 percent Cocoa Powder
- (1 ½ oz) Cocoa-Comfort Massage Balm
- 2 rubber spa bowls
- Plastic wrap
- Hot Stones and 4 warm, moist hand towels
- Mix Micro-Buff Body Polish with 2 teaspoons Cocoa Powder. Warm prior to application.
- Apply an exfoliation treatment with the Micro-Buff Body Polish.
- Apply Cocoa-Comfort Massage Balm in an even layer to each part of the body, while quickly covering each area with plastic wrap. Cover client with towel to keep warm.
- While standing at the head of the table, pull up all layers of sheets, thermal wrap and blankets, cocooning the client.
- Allow client to rest for 15-20 minutes. This is an ideal time to incorporate an add-on face or foot massage.
- Remove plastic wrap and perform finishing treatment using hot stones with Cocoa-Comfort Massage Balm.
Click here and see a video of this treatment!