Spice up your spa and massage client treatments with ginger
By Jean Shea on Jul 03, 2014
While I don’t consider myself a historian, I really enjoy reading up on the history of herbs and spices I use in BIOTONE products. What’s most fascinating is to find out how some of these ingredients were worth their weight in gold hundreds -- and even thousands-- of years ago. Take ginger, for example. Today, you find it in most supermarkets, but back in the 14th century, its value was equal to a live sheep or some other livestock.
The high premium on ginger goes back 5000 years when the Indians and ancient Chinese used the spice for a range of ailments, according to Ginger History on In-Depth Info. At some point, ginger was exported from India to Ancient Rome, where it was used extensively. It nearly disappeared from use when Rome fell but regained its popularity as the Arabs took control of the spice trade from the East. Eventually it made its way to Europe and like other spices became costly.
In addition to its medicinal properties, ginger’s benefits for the skin are significant. Ginger contains about 40 antioxidant compounds to protect the skin against aging. The antioxidants prevent damage from free radicals to preserve the skin’s youthful appearance. Ginger also improves the skin’s elasticity, and it has powerful skin antiseptic and cleansing qualities.
You’ll find ginger in many BIOTONE products including: Energy Aromatherapy Massage Lotion, Energy Aromatherapy Body Lotion and Energy Aromatherapy Body Butter; Herbal Select Body Therapy Massage Oil; Sore Muscle Relieving Customizing Complex, Green Tea & Lime Leaf Customizing Complex, Green Tea & Lime Leaf Hydrating Lotion; Green Tea & Lime Leaf Salt Glow; Green Tea & Lime Leaf Body Butter; and Green Tea & Lime Leaf Micro-Buff Creme Body Polish.
Retreat to the East
Help your clients enjoy the benefits of the ginger with our "Retreat to the East" skin treatment. The treatment is infused with fragrances of the orient while rich concentrations of algae, minerals, and vitamins derived from active seaweed firm and tone the skin. Continue to unwind with a relaxing massage that will leave skin smooth and hydrated.
- Micro-Buff Body Polish ------------------------------------- 2 ounces
- Firmi Sea Body Mud ---------------------------------------- 4 ounces
- Green Tea & Lime Leaf Customizing Complex ----- 50 drops
- Smoothing Massage Butter ------------------------------- 1 ounces
- 3 rubber spa bowls
- Plastic wrap
- 9 warm, moist hand towels
- Mix Micro-Buff Body Polish with 10 drops of Green Tea & Lime Leaf Customizing Complex in a rubber bowl.
- Mix Firmi-Sea Body Mud with 30 drops of Green Tea & Lime Leaf Customizing Complex in a rubber bowl.
- Mix Smoothing Massage Butter with 10 drops of Green Tea & Lime Leaf Customizing Complex in a rubber bowl.
- Apply an exfoliation treatment with the Micro-Buff Body Polish.*
- While standing at the head of the table, Apply Firmi-Sea Body Mud in an even layer to each part of the body,* while quickly covering each area with plastic wrap. Cover client with a towel to keep warm.
- Allow client to rest 15-20 min. This is an ideal time to incorporate an add-on face or foot massage.
- Remove plastic wrap, remove as much mud as possible. Remove remaining mud with warm, moist towels. Cover exposed damp skin with a bath towel.
- Perform a finishing treatment with Smoothing Massage Butter.
- *Follow protocols in BIOTONE Spa Brochure.