Aloe Vera offers timeless skin care benefits for spa and massage practice clients
By Jean Shea on May 23, 2016
Talk about staying power. When it comes to popularity, the Aloe Vera plant can be traced back centuries for its use in health, beauty and skin care treatments. As far back as 2000 years, Greek scientists believed the Aloe Vera plant was a universal panacea. Egyptians actually called it “the plant of immortality.”
With its fleshy and thorny leaves, many believe the Aloe Vera is a cactus. But Aloe Vera is actually a member of the Lily family. Like other succulents, its stays moist by closing its pores to prevent moisture loss. Slice open the lower part of the Aloe Vera leaf and you’ll find a gel that can be applied to the skin for a number of healing and moisturizing benefits.
Today consumers use Aloe Vera to treat sunburn because of its anti-inflammatory properties. Aloe Vera also is used in a range of skin care products because it contains several antioxidants, including beta carotene, vitamins C and E, to help improve the skin’s firmness and keep it hydrated. With its hydrating properties, Aloe Vera helps to minimize the appearance of lines and wrinkles.
Among BIOTONE products, you’ll find Aloe Vera a key ingredient in our original Dual Purpose Massage Creme, Clear Results Massage Oil, Deep Tissue Massage Lotion, Controlled Glide Massage Creme and Polar Lotion, as well as in our Cocoa-Comfort, Herbal Select, and Marine Therapy Pedi product lines.
Several of these products are featured in our Rock & Sole Foot Massage treatment, a treat for your client’s hardworking feet. Salts from the Dead Sea combined with Marine Extracts soothe and soften followed by a moisturizing wrap of European Rose Mud. A hot stone massage revitalizes and renews.
Marine Therapy Pedi-Scrub ½ ounce
European Rose Mud ½ ounce
Peppermint Essential Oil 10 drops
Lemon Essential Oil 15 drops
Herbal Select Foot Lotion ½ ounce
3 rubber spa bowls
4 hot, moist hand towels
- Mix European Rose Mud with 10 drops of Peppermint Essential Oil and 15 drops of Lemon Essential Oil.
- Smooth Marine Therapy Pedi-Scrub over the entire right foot. Apply in small circular movements – paying special attention to rough/callused area. Repeat on the left foot
- Remove the Marine Therapy Pedi-Scrub with a hot, moist towel.
- Apply the European Rose Mud to the entire right foot using small circular movements. Repeat on left foot.
- Cover both feet with plastic wrap and a bath sheet. Leave on for 5 to 10 minutes.
- Remove European Rose Mud with a hot, moist towel.
Complete the treatment with a quick foot/lower leg hot stone massage using Herbal Select Foot Lotion.